Interview for Career in Marine Mammal Studies

From: Kim Marshall (kimm@oceanalliance.org)
Date: Sun Dec 15 2002 - 14:46:37 EST

    Hello, my name is Samantha Hughes, and I have more than just one question to
    ask you. I would like to know if I could ask you a few questions for an
    interview. This is for a Career research project for my school. Below is the
    list of questions. Thank you for your time.

    Dear Samantha, I am very happy to answer your questions. I hope they are
    helpful to you.
    1) Why did you decide to be a marine scientist?
    I had a desire to work with whales from an early age and began reading books
    and going to marine parks as much as I could to become more familiar with
    them. When I finished high school I knew I wanted to continue to take
    science and biology courses so that I could learn enough to eventually work
    at an organization that studies them like I do now.
    2) How long have you been in the line of work?
    I volunteered my time from 15 years old and then about ten years later I was
    offered a job a Ocean Alliance where I have been for nearly eleven years.
    3) Had this job met your expectations? What were your expectations?
    My job is not easy because I not only work directly with the animals as a
    research assistant but I also work at Ocean Alliancešs headquarters where I
    write reports and do all kinds of work that needs to be done in order to
    undertake research projects.
    4) What do you like best about your job?
    Of course, being near a whale is the best experience I have ever had but I
    never get bored at my job because I am so busy, so I guess I like everything
    about my job. Knowing that I am working towards helping whales makes my job
    very rewarding.
    5) What are the hours of your work?
    I work at least five days a week at the office but when I am in the field we
    work around the clock (stopping only to sleep and eat) because if you are on
    a boat you need to help keep the boat sailing day and night.
    6) What is a typical day like?
    In the office I spend a lot of time answering questions about whales,
    writing reports and proposals to get money to be able to conduct the
    research, and managing volunteers who want to learn about whales.
    7) If you could change something about this job, what would it be?
    I would like to know that our hard work is making a difference in the
    policies and regulations that protect marine life and that people like you
    are learning a lot from the work we do.
    8) Would you recommend this job to someone else? why or why not?
    Yes I would but I suggest learning about business practices and about
    science so that you have a broader knowledge base.
    9) If you had to do it over, would you choose this job?
    Yes!!! I love it and believe me, seeing a whale up close and knowing you
    are helping it is worth all the hard work.

    Thank you for your questions.

    Kim

    Kim Marshall
    Executive Director
    Ocean Alliance (Whale Conservation Inst. & the Voyage of the Odyssey)
    191 Weston Road, Lincoln, MA 01773
    781.259.0423 ext. 14 fax 259.0288
    www.oceanalliance.org www.pbs.org/odyssey
    Please support our efforts to conserve whales and their ocean environment
    through research and education :)