Humphrey the wrong way whale

From: Orca Network (howard@orcanetwork.org)
Date: Tue Jan 14 2003 - 23:23:28 EST

    I saw Humphrey when I was just a kid…… 1985 I was able to get within 10
    feet of him as he passed under a small slough bridge. I was only about 10
    years old but I remember how he came up to the surface and just rolled his
    body in such a way that he could look up at me…… for about 30 seconds he
    did not move just floated in place looking at me with great interest….. I
    often wonder where the whale went, is he still alive, does he have children
    now…. If you know of his story, or if he is still being tracked let me know
    where to see such info!
    Thanks
    Scott

    According to the Marine Mammal Center, "Humphrey," was rescued twice. The
    first rescue was in 1985, when he swam into San Francisco Bay and then up
    the Sacramento River. Five years later, Humphrey returned and became stuck
    on a mudflat in San Francisco Bay near 3 COM Park. He was pulled off the
    mudflat with a large cargo net and the help of a Coast Guard boat. Both
    times he was successfully guided back to the Pacific Ocean using a "sound
    net" in which people in a flotilla of boats made unpleasant noises behind
    the whale by banging on steel pipes, a Japanese fishing technique known as
    "oikami." At the same time, the attractive sounds of humpback whales
    preparing to feed were broadcast from a boat headed towards the open ocean.
    Since leaving the San Francisco Bay in 1990 Humphrey has been seen only
    once, at the Farallon Islands in 1991.

    Howard Garrett
    Orca Network
    Greenbank WA