RE: Whales Travelling in Pods

From: core@coreresearch.org
Date: Sun Jan 19 2003 - 16:11:38 EST

    Dear June,

    There are two very different types of whales, the toothed whales
    (odontocetes) and the baleen whales (mysticetes). The only kinds of whales
    that travel in true "pods" are the toothes whales such as sperm whales,
    pilot whales, orca or killer whales and all of the dolphins and porpoises.
    By definition, a pod is a very cohesive social group, and extended family
    group that can stay together for the lifetime of the individuals within it.
    Baleen whales do not stay in such cohesive groups for long periods of time.

    Overall, as I understand their structure the pods have a hierarchy in that
    the oldest female in the group is the "lead" whale. The pods can change for
    periods of time when two pods (or more) come together, or when certain of
    the whales (or dolphins)within the pod might split off and go their
    separate way for a short period of time.

    Overall, the pod is lead by the matriarch - the oldest female.

    Thank you for your question.

    Sincerely,

    Lisa J. Foerster
    Director
    Center for Oceanic Research and Education

    www.coreresearch.org