hunting whales

From: core@coreresearch.org
Date: Tue Jan 21 2003 - 13:32:26 EST

    Y DO PEOPLE WANT TO KILL WHALES ITS FOR MY HOMEWORK

    Dear saucy!

    There are several reasons people currently kill whales: for food, for
    tradition, for ritual - it is part of their culture. Many native cultures
    such as the Inuit still use every part of the whale as part of their
    survival in less-than-mild climate conditions. Whales were still hunted by
    the United States as late as 1955 - not so long ago.

    In the past in many parts of the world, including the United States, whales
    were also killed for substances such as baleen, blubber and the oil from
    the head of the sperm whale. These had a variety of uses - from stays for
    corsets, combs, lantern oil and machine lubricants. We now, of course, have
    synthetic substances that we can use instead.

    Thank you for your question.

    Sincerely,

    Lisa Foerster
    Director
    Center for Oceanic Research and Education

    www.coreresearch.org

    http://mail2web.com/ .