Careers; Marine mammal sciences

From: core@coreresearch.org
Date: Sun Jan 26 2003 - 12:48:17 EST

    hi,
     my name is nicole and i was wondering if you would be able to answer a few
    questions for and interview. here is my list of questions:

    1. What is a typical day?
    2. What do u like the most/least about your job? Why?
    3. What do u think is most difficult about your job?
    4. If you could change anything about your job what would it be?
    5. How did you decide to enter this career field?
    6. What type of schooling does one need to enter this field?
    7. Do you have any advice for someone entering this career?

    Thank- you very much for your time.
    Sincerely,
     Nicole

    Hi Nicole,

    I would be happy to answer your questions. If you are interested in more
    answers to your questions, please visit the WhaleNet search page, and type
    in "careers" - you will find many pages about this subject. The search page
    can be found at: http://whale.wheelock.edu/Search.html

    1 - There is no such thing as a typical day! Some of my days start by
    waking at 4:30AM to beging the search for whales 180 miles offshore and
    ending at last light around 9:30PM - then compiling the data from the day
    before you go to bed and start again the next day! Other days I'm in the
    office doing analysis, training interns or writing our newsletter! During
    most summer days, we're on the boat from about 7:30 in the morning until
    6:00 at night, educating the public about whales and their habitat.

    2 - The thing(s) I like the best about my job is being on the ocean and
    getting the opportunity to see and interact with whales. I just love them!
    The thing I like the least is when passengers on the boat don't appreciate
    the whales and when people are disrespectful to the ocean or the whales.

    3 - The most difficult thing about my job is the seasonality of it - we are
    on the boat for about 7 months of the year, and then I have to figure out a
    creative way to earn money in the winter!

    4 - If I could change one thing - I'd be paid a lot more! :)

    5 - I decided a long, long time ago that I wanted either to study primates
    or cetaceans (particularly humpback whales). I grew up in Michigan, and got
    the chance to visit relatives who lived in Marblehead, MA. They surprised
    me with a trip on a whale watch - changed my fate forever. Only five months
    later, I moved to Gloucester, MA to be an intern with a research group. I
    never left!

    6 - There are many diverse backgrounds for entering a career in cetacean
    research. I have a BS in Zoology, many others have studied Marine Sciences
    or Marine Biology. I know others who have backgrounds in Animal Sciences or
    Environmental Sciences.

    7 - You have to really love it. My best advice to anyone is to find your
    passion and stick with it. Don't let anyone deter you from your calling.
    There are probably hundreds of thousands of people in this country alone
    who are miserable in their jobs. They live for the two weeks of vacation
    each year so they can go and do what they truly enjoy. Imagine going to
    work every day (or almost every day) knowing that you're going to enjoy
    what you're doing...That's what I would wish for everyone.

    Good luck - hope you find your passion!

    Sincerely,

    Lisa Foerster
    Director
    Center for Oceanic Research and Education
    www.coreresearch.org

    http://mail2web.com/ .