Whalewatching Mexico

From: Kim Marshall (kimm@oceanalliance.org)
Date: Wed Feb 05 2003 - 12:51:56 EST

    > Question:
    > Kim, We are going to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico in Mid-February and will go on a
    > whale watching tour. Naturally we want to increase our chances of seeing a
    > whale. Is there any specific time of day when whales are more active than
    > others? Will we tend to see more females at some times versus males? Is there
    > anything unique about the whales that frequent the Baja pennisula at this time
    > of year that we might want to know?
    > Thanks
    > Eric Olson
    >
    > Reply: Hi Eric,
    > Cabo San Lucas is a great place to be watching whales this time of year.
    > Remember the most predictable thing about whales is their unpredictability.
    > The best time to see the whales is entirely up to the whales. You will
    > probably see humpback mating groups where a female will be escorted by males
    > who are trying to get her affections. The males can be rough to one another
    > when trying to impress females but they are also singing to show her how macho
    > they are. You might see gray whales at this time. Dolphins are plentiful off
    > Cabo as well. If you venture into the Gulf of California (Sea of Cortez) you
    > might encounter sperm whales, fin whales, Brydes whales, and more. Check out
    > other links on the WhaleNet site (http://whale.wheelock.edu) to add to your
    > information base.
    >
    > Have a great trip!!
    > Kim

    Kim Marshall
    Executive Director
    Ocean Alliance (Whale Conservation Inst. & the Voyage of the Odyssey)
    191 Weston Road, Lincoln, MA 01773
    781.259.0423 ext. 14 fax 259.0288
    www.oceanalliance.org www.pbs.org/odyssey
    Please support our efforts to conserve whales and their ocean environment
    through research and education :)