Breaching whales

From: Kim Marshall (kimm@oceanalliance.org)
Date: Wed Feb 05 2003 - 18:54:33 EST

    Question:
    > hey just a simple question do whales jump i mean would you call breaching
    > jumping. i ask because i saw a snapple cap and it said elephants are the only
    > mammals that cant jump and i immediately thought of whales. thanks

    Reply:
    Yes whales (including small whales like dolphins) can jump. It is called
    breaching when a whale hurls its body out of the water. Please search the
    WhaleNet archives for more information on breaching at
    http://whale.wheelock.edu/whalenet-stuff/classifications.html.

    Thank you!

    Kim

    Kim Marshall
    Executive Director
    Ocean Alliance (Whale Conservation Inst. & the Voyage of the Odyssey)
    191 Weston Road, Lincoln, MA 01773
    781.259.0423 ext. 14 fax 259.0288
    www.oceanalliance.org www.pbs.org/odyssey
    Please support our efforts to conserve whales and their ocean environment
    through research and education :)