How Many Whale Species Are There?

From: Kim Marshall (kimm@oceanalliance.org)
Date: Mon Feb 10 2003 - 16:58:32 EST

    Question:

    > Hello My name is Sean and I am doing a project about whales, can you please
    > tell me how many different spedies of whale there are and how many of each
    > left alive today. also if you can tell me the names of any web sites I can
    > look at I would be very grateful
    > Yours Sincerely
    > Sean Aged 10

    Reply: Dear Sean,
    There are between 79 and 84 Species of whales. This includes dolphins. To
    find out how many are left of each species please go to
    http://whale.wheelock.edu/whalenet-stuff/ser_population.html. This will give
    you an estimate of the population numbers of several whales. There are many
    links to other web sites via WhaleNet. Good luck with your project!
    Kim

    Kim Marshall
    Executive Director
    Ocean Alliance (Whale Conservation Inst. & the Voyage of the Odyssey)
    191 Weston Road, Lincoln, MA 01773
    781.259.0423 ext. 14 fax 259.0288
    www.oceanalliance.org www.pbs.org/odyssey
    Please support our efforts to conserve whales and their ocean environment
    through research and education :)