Whale Watching

From: Kim Marshall (kimm@oceanalliance.org)
Date: Tue Feb 11 2003 - 18:05:13 EST

    Question:
    > Kim:
    > My wife and I would like to plan a trip to Boston between now and late
    > fall.
    > We would like to take one of the whale watch tours while there.
    > We are flexible and would like to be there at the "best" time for whale
    > watching.
    > I am not sure if that is the time when the MOST whales are to be seen or
    > when the BIGGEST whales are to be seen or some other time.
    > Can you give us a recommendation ?
    > Thanks,
    > Bob Fischer

    Reply:
    Dear Bob,
    Whale watching begins on the east coast in April and ends late October or
    early November. I suggest going out when the weather is warmer for your own
    comfort but if you can bear the elements, the boats are less full earlier or
    later in the season. As for the whales, they are unpredictable. We saw a
    lot of fin whales last year and humpback whales frequent Stellwagon Bank
    each year. You can check the website of our partnering whale watch, Cape
    Ann Whale Watch, when the season starts to see daily updates. Also go to
    WhaleNet¹s whale watching site at
    http://whale.wheelock.edu/whalenet-stuff/whalewatch.html to see a list of
    companies in this area.
    Have fun!
    Kim

    Kim Marshall
    Executive Director
    Ocean Alliance (Whale Conservation Inst. & the Voyage of the Odyssey)
    191 Weston Road, Lincoln, MA 01773
    781.259.0423 ext. 14 fax 259.0288
    www.oceanalliance.org www.pbs.org/odyssey
    Please support our efforts to conserve whales and their ocean environment
    through research and education :)