Careers

From: Kim Marshall (kimm@oceanalliance.org)
Date: Mon Feb 17 2003 - 10:34:43 EST

    Question:

    > Hi,
    > My name is Liz and I'm a junior in high school. I'm writing a report on marine
    > biology. I would appreciate it if you would email me back. I have a couple of
    > questions. 1)Why did you pick your job 2)what's a normal day at work for
    > you...and anything elseyou would like to add...thank you

    Reply: Dear Liz,
    I chose my job because I always have had a passion to work with and help
    marine mammals. My job involves studying whales and observing their
    behaviors but to go out in the field with the whales you have to prepare.
    This requires time to write proposals to get the funding to allow you to
    work in remote places where whales go. It also requires writing reports
    about your observations and other administrative and research like duties
    that require working in a lab or at a desk.

    Go to WhaleNet's ed_resources section to learn more about how to pursue a
    career in marine biology.

    Good luck!

    Kim

    Kim Marshall
    Executive Director
    Ocean Alliance (Whale Conservation Inst. & the Voyage of the Odyssey)
    191 Weston Road, Lincoln, MA 01773
    781.259.0423 ext. 14 fax 259.0288
    www.oceanalliance.org www.pbs.org/odyssey
    Please support our efforts to conserve whales and their ocean environment
    through research and education :)