St-Lawrence river belugas, preparing for winter

From: Cathy Schaeff (schaeff@american.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 19 2003 - 11:27:48 EST

    Hi Heidi,

    Baleen species migrate seasonally, moving from summer feeding grounds to
    winter breeding and calving areas. Toothed whales, including the beluga, are
    less likely to migrate but some belugas do. Beluga whales are entirely
    arctic and subarctic and have a variety of adaptations to living in these
    cold waters. The main preparation for winter is probably just an increase in
    the thickness of their blubber layer. Check out this link to WWF Canada,
    http://www.wwfcanada.org/, and search for beluga. There is a lot of useful
    information.

    Cathy Schaeff