Cetacean Orientation and navigation

From: Cathy Schaeff (schaeff@american.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 19 2003 - 11:45:59 EST

    Hi Jon,

    It has been suggested that some species, including gray whales, use local
    topology to aid migration. Gray whales are observed to "spyhop", or raise
    only their heads out of the water during brief stops along their migration.
    The purpose of this behavior is unknown, although it has been suggested that
    the whales are looking for landmarks along the shoreline (Ritter 1994;
     Gray Whale. In:
    http://www.state.ak.us/local/akpages/FISH.GAME/notebook/marine/gray.htm,

    Alaska Department of Fish and Game Wildlife Notebook).

    I don't know of any info about the use of the sun's position. You can search
    the whalenet site to see if anyone has written anything useful :
    (http://whale.wheelock.edu/howtofind.html) and could check out.

    Cathy Schaeff