Body warmth in whales

From: Cathy Schaeff (schaeff@american.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 25 2003 - 16:01:19 EST

    Hi Kelcey,

    Whales are warm-blooded animals. That means that their metabolism works to keep their internal temperature at a certain, fairly warm, level. Blubber then helps insulate the animals so that the body heat that they generate is not lost because of the cooler ocean temperature. For your experiment, think about how you could test whether blubber actually acts to insulate the whales.

    Good luck,

    Cathy Schaeff