Cachalot

From: Phil Clapham (pclapham@whsun1.wh.whoi.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 06 2003 - 08:56:58 EST

    Yes, "cacholot" is another name for what we call a sperm whale. It's
    the French name, and ws sometimes used by whalers from other countries.

    I'm not sure what you mean by "whale definition", but if you mean "what
    is a whale?" there are two possible answers. the first is that a whale
    is the big animal that everyone thinks of as a whale (like a blue whale,
    sperm whale etc). The other is that "whale" is synonymous with the word
    "cetacean", which is the name scientists give to the group of mammals
    that includes all of the whales, dolphins and porpoises. There are
    about 80 species in all, of which more than a dozen are big whales.

    --

    Phillip J. Clapham, Ph.D. Large Whale Biology Program Northeast Fisheries Science Center 166 Water Street Woods Hole, MA 02543, U.S.A.

    tel. 508 495-2316 fax 508 495-2066 email: pclapham@whsun1.wh.whoi.edu