lungs in whales

From: Pieter Folkens (animalbytes@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Mar 21 2003 - 11:35:57 EST

    What is your definition of whale? Whales are in the order Cetacea
    (whales and dolphins). There are around 80 species of Cetacea. The
    smallest 'whale' is the dwarf sperm whale. (Several dolphins and
    porpoises are smaller.) The largest is the blue whale. Lung size varies
    from something slightly larger than that of an adult human to something
    on the order of a small to mid-sized car.

    Cheers,

    Pieter Folkens