Disecting a dogfish

From: Pieter Folkens (animalbytes@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Mar 26 2003 - 01:29:19 EST

    > Hi! My friends and I are going to disect a dogfish for the Science
    > Fair in our
    > school, and I was wondering if you could tell us how to do this. We
    > are in 7th
    > grade. We would appreciate any help that you could give us.
    > Thank you,
    > Eris Davis
    > mdavis5@stny.rr.com

    I'm pretty good with dissecting mammals, but I haven't done a dog fish.
    I would not want to guess and give you any wrong information. What I
    can tell you is that it is a small shark of the family Squalidae and is
    found in Atlantic and Pacific coastal waters. Since it is a shark,
    check out the shark books at your local library. I'd expect there to be
    an image or two of the internal anatomy of some shark that could help
    you. If you have a public aquarium in your area (like the Shedd in
    Chicago or the Monterey Bay Aquarium in Monterey or the California
    Academy of Sciences in San Franciso) I'd bet you'll find a bunch of
    good biologists who could help you with dissecting a small shark.

    Cheers,

    Pieter Folkens