Education and careers

From: Erich Hoyt (erich.hoyt@virgin.net)
Date: Tue Apr 08 2003 - 03:19:17 EDT

    ----------
    >From: karen hoskins <khoskins@epix.net>
    >To: erich.hoyt@virgin.net, pita@whale.wheelock.edu
    >Subject: Education Information
    >Date: Tue, Apr 8, 2003, 1:52 AM
    >

    > Dear Erich Hoyt,
    > Good day, my name is Meghan, and I'm a freshman at Bangor Area
    > School District in Pennsylvania. I have an enormous interest in pursuing
    > a career in marine mammal science, the only problem is I am not sure
    > where to start. I do well in school, I stay very active, and I keep up
    > with marine science information, but I want to start finding a college
    > that is best for majoring in marine biology but so that I will also get
    > the opportunity to work with marine mammals as well and get a good
    > education. I want to know now because I want to know if my grades are
    > alright, if I need to work harder, and what classes are absolutely
    > necessary for me to take and if there are any activities such as
    > extracurricular projects that I could do to help with a resume, but for
    > now at the least I would just like to know the colleges that would be
    > best to look into interest with.
    > Thank You Very Much.
    > Sincerely,
    > Meghan

    Dear Meghan

    There is a wonderful link on the educational resources page of the WhaleNet
    website which will give you lots of helpful information on pursuing a career
    in marine mammal science, and answer your questions. Go to
    http://whale.wheelock.edu/whalenet-stuff/ed_resources.html and scroll down
    to "Careers". There are 10 links there. You probably will only need one of
    them, but if you still have more questions, go to others. I would start by
    clicking on "Careers in Marine Mammal Science - Society for Marine
    Mammalogy" - I know that's a good one and very straightforward.

    Good luck!

    Erich Hoyt