right whale information

From: Erich Hoyt (erich.hoyt@virgin.net)
Date: Thu Apr 10 2003 - 18:24:30 EDT

    ----------
    From: "Rich Zayas" <zayas@earthnet.net>
    To: <erich.hoyt@virgin.net>, <pita@whale.wheelock.edu>
    Subject: northern right whale
    Date: Thu, Apr 10, 2003, 3:13 AM

    Dear Scientist,

        I am doing a report on the northern right whale for my 7th grade science
    teacher. I have been trying to find out what the impotance of the right
    whale is. I have not been able to locate this fact. Can you help me?

    RJ Zayas

    Dear Rich Zayas,

    Thank you for your question. I'm not sure what you mean by the "importance"
    of the right whale. Importance in what way? Do you mean importance as a
    commercial product for whaling? Or importance to the ecosystem it lives in?
    Or is it the importance to the whale watching industry? There are a number
    of ways that you could think about this question.

    I would suggest that first you go to species information page of the
    WhaleNet website and read more on right whales. You could look for headings
    related to whaling, ecosystem, and whale watching, etc. The species page is
    http://whale.wheelock.edu/whalenet-stuff/classifications.html.

    Some of the entries you could try (but there are lots of others) include:

    American Cetacean Society¥ Species Links
    CETACEA - Brief overview of a wide variety of species with habitat range
    maps.
    Cetacea¥, Illinois State Academy of Sciences (ISAS) - Listing of species.
    Discovering Whales¥, nicely done page. Still Free - listing by species
    Marine Mammals¥, Classifications and descriptions by species

    Good luck!

    Erich Hoyt