Career, marine mammal science

From: pulipal@netscape.net
Date: Tue Apr 15 2003 - 10:52:11 EDT

      Subject: Career, Marine Mammal Science
      Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 11:16:56 -0400
      From: pulipal@netscape.net
      To: HorseHottie12@cinci.rr.com ("Britt Larson")
      Cc: ask@whale.wheelock.edu, pita@whale.wheelock.edu

    Question: I am interested in becoming a marine mammal scientist, and would love to study dolphins, specifically orcas. I am especially interested in studying intelligence and behavior. If you could provide information on the types of jobs that are available to people who specialize in marine mammal science, what the schooling is like, and any other relevant data, I would be very appreciative. Thank you!

    ~Britt L.

    Answer: Hi Britt,

    I think it's great that you're interested in a career involving marine mammals! The Society for Marine Mammalogy put together a really great information booklet on this topic, since folks interested in careers involving marine mammals were in need of such a resource. Run a search through the WhaleNet archives and the links provided at the WhaleNet website to locate this booklet online. It's available for free, and I highly recommend it. If you find you have some questions that are not addressed by that booklet, then please feel free to contact me or any other scientist via the WhaleNet website.

    Best wishes,

    Dagmar Fertl