Career, marine biology

From: pulipal@netscape.net
Date: Mon Apr 14 2003 - 16:03:21 EDT

    Question:

    hello. I'm a student from Mahomet-Seymour High School in Mahomet, IL. I am doing research on Marine Biology and what it takes in this feild. I am looking foward to studying Marine Sciences in college. To prepare myself for college, i am writing a paper on Marine Biology. I have some questions that have come up when researching this feild, and if you could answer them, it would help me out a lot. thanks.

      - What does it take in the way of schooling to become a Marine Biologist?
      - What type of tasks to Marine Biologist carry out?
      - Where does most of the work take place, office or in the field?
      - How much money does this feild make?
      - Is the job fun and interesting?
      - What is the best part of the job in your opinion?
      - Is there a good job market for this job?

       you can get back to me at gomsir1@hotmail.com
    my name is Glyn Marsh
         thanks for your time.
    Answer:

    Dear Glyn,

    Many of these questions can be answered by looking thru the WhaleNet archives, under the subject 'career'. I personally have answered this question a number of times over the past few years for WhaleNet. I would suggest also looking for the link for the Society for Marine Mammalogy's website at the WhaleNet website. The SMM put out a great booklet, available free online, that covers most of your questions. If you still have questions after looking thru these two resources, please feel free to write back and I'll be more than happy to assist you.

    Best wishes,

    Dagmar Fertl