killer whale, how did they get the name?

From: pulipal@netscape.net
Date: Fri Apr 18 2003 - 14:09:03 EDT

            Dear scientist Dagmar Ferdl,
           I am a 3rd grader at Bittersweet elementary. My name is Patrick Adkins. my teacher says that we have to do a report on whales. (like getting ALOT of information). I was wondering if you could give me some information and cool facts about different types of whales. I want to do a report on a whale that nobody might not have heard of my age. (I'm 9) I also told my teacher that I'm actually talking to a real scientist. She was proud of me. I'ts hard to believe that Me Patrick Adkins is E-mailing a scientist ang hoping to get one back. People say that killer whales are dangerous. Are they really, because I think that they are good. Why are they called killer whales? It makes them sound like they kill people. I think that they usually don"t. I also think baleen whales are cool too. Well I know you probably have a lot of other Interesting E-mails to read so I will let you go.

    P.S. Remeber to E-mail me back soon about a whale that nobody might not have heard of my age. (9) Oh ya and can I have some facts about you too so I could share and and have proof that I E-mailed a whale scientist.
    Patrick,

    I see you were quite busy with your emails. You've probably seen my previous response about you needing to do your own research first for a project. Killer whales got their name from whalers since they kill large baleen whales, like blue and humpback whales. They also kill dolphins, seals, turtles, and penguins. Most, however, probably stick to eating just fish, including sharks.

    Regards,

    Dagmar Fertl