Humpback whale, girth (width?)-size

From: pulipal@netscape.net
Date: Mon Apr 21 2003 - 12:37:59 EDT

    We are working on a science/ math project and need the answer to the
    following question. What is the average width of a humpback whale? Adult.*************

    Tracie,

    What you really mean by width when you talk about a whale (or even a person) is their girth. The only information I could locate has humpback whales getting as large as 40 ft in girth. That's a pretty chunky whale, and I'm still waiting to hear from a real humpback whale researcher who's a bit more familiar with humpback whale measurements as well. I think you might be interested to know that the tail (the flukes) of an adult are 10 to 15 feet wide. Also quite interesting is that the mouth, with it's pleats, can expand to 15 feet wide.

    Hope this helps. Just remember the girth increases as the animal ages. A humpback whale is considered to be full grown at 10 to 13 years of age, but they add some size then on the girth...kind of like humans do, I guess.

    Sincerely,
    Dagmar Fertl