Manatee origins

From: education@savethemanatee.org
Date: Tue May 06 2003 - 10:15:53 EDT

    MessageHi Ian,

    Thanks for your question. Manatees are believed to have evolved from a wading, plant-eating animal. The manatee's closest land relatives are the elephant and the hyrax, a small, gopher-sized mammal. The West Indian manatee, which is found in the U.S. and along the coastal and inland waterways of Central American and along the northern coast of South America, is related to the West African manatee, the Amazonian manatee, the dugong, and to the Steller's sea cow, which was hunted to extinction in 1768. The average adult manatee is about three meters (9.8 feet) long and weighs between 362-544 kilograms (800-1,200 pounds).

    You can find more information on manatees by visiting the Save the Manatee Club web site at http://www.savethemanatee.org and go to the "Manatee Info" section.

    I appreciate your interest in manatees!

    Sincerely,
    Nancy Sadusky