whale breeding

From: Greg Early (gearly1@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Jun 01 2003 - 16:30:14 EDT

    Merine,

    It sort of depends on what you mean by breeding. The biological bits of
    reproduction are pretty much the same as for land mammals. Whales are,
    however social animals and the breeding strategies can be very different
    from species to species and scientists do not know a great deal about most
    species. For example, pilot whales seem to live in some of the most stable
    social groups found among mammals, and some whales may live their entire
    lives (maybe 80 years) with the same "family" group. On the other hand,
    large baleen whales (like humpback whales) form breeding associations only
    during part of the year then migrate. And in some cases (like the beaked
    whales) we think they have a specific breeding season, but otherwise we
    have little clue as to how their social organizations might work.

    Regards,

    ge