Merine Patterson , pronunciation, laws

From: Greg Early (gearly1@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Jun 01 2003 - 16:19:37 EDT

    Merine,

    Hunting of all marine mammals was basically stopped in the USA in 1972 when
    the Marine Mammal Protection Act was passed. This is a federal law that
    makes it illegal to trade or "take" (meaning kill, harass or capture) a
    marine mammal. The marine mammal protection act even "protects" dead and
    stranded animals from being "taken" without permission. There are
    basically two (legal) ways a person or group might be able to do the things
    prohibited under the act, one can get permission, or one can be exempt.
     People and groups get permission through permits from the government.
     This is basically how a researcher, or aquarium might capture an animal
    for either study or display. In the case of native tribes, some have been
    exempted from the law because they can be considered separate nations (and
    the law might not apply). Some continue to hunt under a permitting program
    because hunting has an important place in maintaining traditional
    lifestyles and cultures. Long answer for a short question ...eh?

    As for the pronunciation guide you might start with the obvious first place
    and look in the WhaleNet archives. Offhand I was not able to find a single
    website with all of the names, however there are some good general sites on
    pronunciation of scientific names. You might check these places ...

    http://www.gomr.mms.gov/homepg/lagniapp/whale.pdf
    http://69.5.22.59/education/taxonomy.html

    Or find the article from the journal Aquatic Mammals 27(2): 183-195.

    Abstract
    Taxonomic names, frequently made-up of Greek and/or Latin elements, are
    mysterious and difficult to pronounce for those who never studied ancient
    languages. This simple guide is designed to help English speakers
    understand and pronounce the scientific names used to classify cetaceans.
    Teachers of Latin and Greek recognize certain rules of pronunciation. These
    rules may not be appropriate in hybrid compounds that have English, as well
    as Greek and/or Latin elements, but they are acceptable for the
    pronunciation of taxonomic names that are purely Greek or Latin. There are
    also traditional rules for anglicizing Latin and latinizing Greek. For
    English speakers who have no interest in Greek or Latin pronunciations,
    knowledge of the anglicized pronunciations, and pronunciations found in
    Webster's Third International Dictionary, as well as knowledge of the
    meaning of Greek and/or Latin elements, should be helpful. The Appendix
    shows how orders, suborders, superfamilies, families, and subfamilies may
    be distinguished by their endings.

    For common names, I've found that the on-line version of Websters
    Dictionary has a pretty good pronunciation guide (and will let you listen
    to the words as well). I'm not sure I like how they pronounce "minke
    whale" however, because it makes me think one of us is not pronouncing it
    quite right.

    good luck,

    ge