Whale movement

From: Greg Early (gearly1@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Jun 04 2003 - 15:01:47 EDT

    Robert,

    This is probably a bit more than I can handle in a single email, but I can
    maybe give you a starting point. It would be hard to give you too many
    specifics without knowing what kind of movements you are talking about.
     There is quite a bit of good video footage of sperm whales available on CD
    and I imagine on the web as well (you should check some of the video
    resources and links on WhaleNet). Roger Payne of the Whale and Dolphin
    Conservation Institute produced an Imax documentary titled "Whales" that I
    believe is available as a DVD is one that comes to mind that I believe has
    underwater footage of sperm whales.

    Range of motion of a whale would not be changed if it was in or out of the
    water, although I expect it would depend on how the whale was supported
    when out of the water.

    Another source you might want to try would be to contact another company
    that has already done some whale animation. In most cases the motion is
    close enough that one could use the same basic wireframe model. For that,
    you might want to try to contact(http://www.imm-studios.com/)
     Immersion Studios who have produced some whale animations for their "Storm
    over Stellwagon" film. The whales in this film are humpbacks, but it might
    be a starting point.

    Hope this is of some help.

    ge