Hair

From: Kim Marshall (kimm@oceanalliance.org)
Date: Mon Sep 22 2003 - 15:51:30 EDT

    Question:
    My name is Gino Tantuico. I am 6 years old. I have a friend named Nessie.
    Nessie and I would like to know if Whales have hair. We need it for our
    science class.

    Reply:
    Dear Gino & Nessie,
    Yes, whales have hair as do all mammals. The hair found on whales (and
    small whales like dolphins) is most apparent when they are born. The hair
    is located on the body similarly to whiskers on a dog or cat or facial hair
    in humans. Each hair is very course it is believed to have a sensory
    function, also like whiskers.

    Good luck with your project!
    Kim

    Kim Marshall
    Executive Director
    Ocean Alliance (Whale Conservation Inst. & the Voyage of the Odyssey)
    191 Weston Road, Lincoln, MA 01773
    781.259.0423 ext. 14 fax 259.0288
    www.oceanalliance.org www.pbs.org/odyssey
    Please support our efforts to conserve whales and their ocean environment
    through research and education :)