Threats to Whales

From: tom tilas (TKTilas@comcast.net)
Date: Sat Sep 27 2003 - 15:22:05 EDT

    Dear Mary,
    Yes I do remember you! It is nice to see you are still teaching about
    whales.

    Question:
    Is the accidental death of whales in fishing gear the biggest threat to
    cetacean species today or is pollution?

    Reply:
     From "Among Whales" by Roger Payne (pg 305):
    "Because whales have survived into an age of high technology, they now
    face threats that make death by harpoons or accidental capture in
    fishing gear seem pale by comparison: I am referring to the slow but
    inexorable accumulation of toxic substances in their bodies."

    There is more information about toxicants and whales on our website
    (www.pbs.org/odyssey or www.oceanalliance.org) or search WhaleNet's
    archives.

    To obtain a slide showing a whale caught in a net or to try to obtain a
    piece of drift net try posting your requests on Marmam
    (http://is.dal.ca/~whitelab/marmam.htm).

    Take care,
    Kim Marshall