Term for Group of Whales

From: tom tilas (TKTilas@comcast.net)
Date: Sat Sep 27 2003 - 13:22:50 EDT

    Question: My 2nd grader was asked this question: "What is a group of
    whales called?" I looked on the whalenet website and found an article
    that said dolphins swim in pods and whales swim in pairs, but larger
    groups of whales are called populations. Her teacher said this was
    wrong, that whales swim in pods too.

    Reply:
    Dear Bob and Cami: I hope these terms help!
    Pod - A co-ordinated group of cetaceans (term is most often used when
    referring to large, toothed whales).
    Herd - A co-ordinated group of cetaceans (term is most often used when
    referring to baleen whales).
    Ref: http://www.cetacea.org/glossary.htm

    Thank you,
    Kim Marshall