sperm whale

From: Phil Clapham (pclapham@whsun1.wh.whoi.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 02 2003 - 10:11:48 EDT

    Hi

    There are a ton of books out there on whales, so you shouldnt have any
    trouble finding information on sperm whales. Net searches on "sperm
    whale facts" or something similar turn up a lot of things (I just
    checked). Some of the information wont be accurate, but a lot of it
    will. You can also look for information on sperm whaling, which ha a
    long history, especially from Nantucket and New Bedford. And check out
    "ambergris" which was a digestive byproduct of sperm whales and was
    worth a fortune in Victorian times because it was used a fixative for
    fragrance in perfume.

    Note that the correct scientific name for the sperm whale is Physeter
    macrocephalus (not Physeter catodon, which some people use).

    Phil Clapham

    --

    Phillip J. Clapham, Ph.D. Large Whale Biology Program Northeast Fisheries Science Center 166 Water Street Woods Hole, MA 02543, U.S.A.

    tel. 508 495-2316 fax 508 495-2066 email: pclapham@whsun1.wh.whoi.edu