question - whales - sleep

From: Greg Early (gearly1@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Oct 22 2003 - 10:05:16 EDT

    Mary,

    As you can see there is some disagreement. Some species appear to spend more time inactive at the surface than others (pilot whales and sperm whales come to mind as ones that seem to spend a lot of time at the surface). Fact is, most of this is based on fairly short term observations. We are getting better at figuring out animals basic daily activity by using remote sensing, and longer periods of observation, but we are still a way off from having the whole picture.

    ge