Re: boredom on the bottom of the sea?

From: Pieter Folkens (animalbytes@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Nov 03 2003 - 10:50:29 EST

    I suspect some whales can get bored. We see something close to it in
    the lagoons of Baja as the mother waits for the calf to size-up before
    the migration.

    You may have noticed that terrestrial mammals have the ability to
    breathe through their mouths as well as the nostrils. Whales do not. A
    full-blown mammalian yawn in the traditional sense requires this
    ability to breathe through the mouth.

    In a yawn, the movement of the jaws is what clears the ears, not the
    passage of air/breathing. The stretch and relax thing is also facial
    muscular and has nothing to do with the nose (or in the case of whales,
    blowhole).

    Technically, an acceptable definition of yawn is to simply to open
    wide. If we segregate the breathing aspect of the conventional
    mammalian yawn, whale do yawn. I've seen it in humpbacks, grays, and
    orcas. Humpbacks sometimes get an object caught in the throat. It could
    be a fish too large to fit down the hole or a piece of wood. They will
    yawn (open wide) attempting to dislodge the inappropriate object from
    their throat.

    Cheers,

    Pieter Folkens