blue whale whaling

From: Pieter Folkens (animalbytes@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Nov 03 2003 - 11:01:37 EST

    There are literally hundreds of web sites that cover the issue of
    whaling. Imbedded in some is the information you seek. Rather than list
    them here, I will put you the track with a couple of suggestions.

    A great search engine is Teoma.com. It is easy to use. Just type in
    whaling. You can narrow the search by typing in blue whaling. This will
    get you specifics about blue whale exploitation. However, the reasons
    for taking the blue are the same as those for taking fins, seis, and
    humpbacks. Blues were just larger such that one kill yielded more
    product.

    Another useful search engine is Google.com. You can ask a specific
    question like: Why were blue whales hunted? at Ask Jeeves
    (www.ask.com).

    You could also do the 20th Century approach and hit the library.
    Whales, by Dutch author Sljiper is a classic that covers your question.

    Good luck in your search!

    Cheers,

    Pieter Folkens