Blue whale blowhole shape

From: Dagmar Fertl (dfertl@geo-marine.com)
Date: Wed Nov 12 2003 - 18:02:05 EST

    Cailey,

    Did you even bother looking at the answer that I took the time to look up
    for you? Shame on you! Blue whales have two blow holes that are roughly
    estimated to be 16 to 20 inches in length for each one. Where on earth did
    you see that the blowhole of a blue whale is 30 ft, when blue whales are a
    maximum of around 90 ft? That would be like your nose being 1/3 your body
    length. While many of us sometimes feel like our nose IS that big, it is
    actually not. haha.

    As for the shape of the blowholes, again, this was something that has been
    answered in the past and could have been located in the WhaleNet archives:

    http://whale.wheelock.edu/archives/ask97/0259.html

    So, if you're still feeling somewhat lazy again, the blowholes are oval in
    shape and also have flesh built up around them, like a splash guard, which
    helps keep water out of the blowhole and ultimately, the lungs.

    Hope this answers all of your questions, except for Cape Cod of course. Not
    to be rude, but you must be just a bit geographically challenged. Dallas is
    where I live (as noted on the WhaleNet page), which is in Texas. Of course,
    Texas is very, very far from Cape Cod, which is in Massachusetts.

    Regards,
    Dagmar