Whales, names, species, echolocation

From: Dagmar Fertl (dfertl@geo-marine.com)
Date: Thu Nov 13 2003 - 09:07:48 EST

      hi
      I just have a few questions about whales. thanks for your time.
      What is the scientifc name for balleen and teeth whales?
      How many different species of whales are there?
      Which whales use ecolocation?
      What are melon heads?
      marrissa
      **********************
      Marrissa,

      Some of these questions have been already answered a number of times
    previously on WhaleNet. Did you get a chance to look thru the archives of
    questions at the site? It is very well-organized there.

      1. Baleen whales: mysticetes; toothed whales: odontocetes
      2. There are 11 species of baleen whales and at least 71 species of
    toothed whales (remember that dolphins are part of the grouping of toothed
    whales)
      3. Toothed whales use echolocation. Only a few species have actually been
    demonstrated to use echolocation (sonar), but it's thought that toothed
    whales in general use echolocation.
      4. You mean "melon-headed whales". This is the species: Peponocephala
    electra. There is a fair amount of information on this species available on
    the Internet. I bet you can also find information on this species at the
    WhaleNet site.

      Regards,
      Dagmar Fertl