Belugas and how to look for information on them

From: Dagmar Fertl (dfertl@geo-marine.com)
Date: Fri Nov 14 2003 - 12:48:58 EST

    hi my name is Cayla and for school I need some informeattion about Beluga
    whales
             thank you Cayla (write back)

    ********************
    Man, oh man, Cayla, I was about blinded when I got your wildly formatted
    message. Thankfully yesterday was the day I went to the eye dr and not
    today, when I got the message. :-0

    Well, since this is a school project, I'm sure your teacher wanted you to
    learn HOW TO LOOK FOR information, and not have me give you all the answers.
    Plus, there are many, many papers and books about belugas. So, with that in
    mind, I'm going to send you back to the WhaleNet archives to see what you
    can find there. I know that questions about belugas have been asked before
    on WhaleNet. WhaleNet also has links to information pages on belugas. I am
    working right now on a project where I'm collecting information on belugas,
    and I can tell you that there is quite a lot of information on the Internet
    (just 'google' either 'beluga', or even 'white whale'). Last, but certainly
    not least, everyone seems to forget about using their public or school
    library. I wonder why that is...laziness I presume. They are wonderful
    sources of information...particularly encyclopedias. As an additional
    suggestion, it's a good idea not to write to a scientist with just that
    general question asking about a particular type of whale. If you think about
    what type of information you're interested in, look in the library and on
    WhaleNet, and *still* aren't able to find anything, then ask as detailed a
    question as you can. For example, don't just say "tell me everything you
    know about belugas" or we would all be here for the next day or so reading
    the answers. It's better to ask something more detailed like "how deep can
    belugas dive" or "why are belugas sometimes called 'canaries of the
    sea'"...that kind of stuff.

    Good luck with the project,
    Dagmar Fertl