Blue Whales, are they extinct?

From: Dagmar Fertl (dfertl@geo-marine.com)
Date: Tue Nov 18 2003 - 10:14:47 EST

    Hi I am Emily and I would like to ask you about blue whales. Are the blue
    whales species in extinction and if they are for what reason have they
    became extinct?
    ******************
    Emily,

    Blue whales are not extinct, however, they are listed as endangered by the
    U.S. Endangered Species Act. Blue whales were hunted extensively (=whaling)
    for their large quantities of baleen, blubber, and meat. Although blue
    whales are protected, many populations show few signs of recovery. In fact,
    some stocks (such as those that feed off California) have shown encouraging
    signs of recovery. Blue whale numbers appear to at least be on the rise in
    the eastern North Atlantic and eastern North Pacific. The world population
    of blue whales is approximately 7,000-10,000 with 2,000 of these whales
    found in California. The California population has been noted to be growing
    and is the highest population in the world.

    Hope this helps,
    Dagmar Fertl