Humpbacks, what's new?

From: Dagmar Fertl (dfertl@geo-marine.com)
Date: Wed Nov 19 2003 - 09:37:04 EST

    Dear Dagmar,

        I have been looking for any scientist who has been researching in the
    study of Humpback whales. I am a student at Calaveras High School and I have
    chosen to study Humpback Whales. I was hoping that if you knew anyone who is
    researching on Humpback Whales, if you could send me there e-mail address so
    that I can learn more about them. It would be greatly appreciated if you can
    help me out. I know as well that you have been in the field of Marine Mammal
    studies for over 12 years. I'm not sure if your researching on any Humpback
    Whales though. I couldn't find what whales exactly you have studied in your
    last couple of years. But if you do have alot of back ground studying on
    Humpback Whales it would be great if you can tell me any thing new about
    them. I have read books about them and I know all the basics about them, but
    I want to learn if anything new has been found about them or what researches
    are in progress to learn something new about them. Thank you for taking the
    time to read this e-mail. If you could reply back at
    lil_latinolove@hotmail.com as soon as possible, it would help me out alot.
    Thank you.

    Sincerely Yours,
    Jose Tapia
    *************************
    Jose,

    I haven't done any direct work with humpback whales, but I can certainly
    answer most any question you might have. I'd rather not give you a bunch of
    researcher names here at WhaleNet though. If you find I cannot answer your
    questions, or if for some reason you have to interview other people as well,
    then I will give you the names and addresses offline. How does that sound?

    As for what's new in the world of humpback whales....what's new to me isn't
    necessarily what's new or even exciting to you? Is this information for a
    school project, or just for your own interest?

    Dagmar