Whale size (blue whale)

From: Dagmar Fertl (dfertl@geo-marine.com)
Date: Tue Nov 25 2003 - 09:42:39 EST

    My 6 year old son, Gabriel, wants to know how whales got so big. I have not
    found a very good answer. Can you help?

    Thanks.

    Timothy Smith and Gabriel Smith-Rodgers
    I'm surprised you weren't able to locate any size information by looking
    thru the WhaleNet archives or any of the links provided for at that website.
    Obviously, the question really pertains to what is the largest whale. The
    largest whale is the blue whale, which is the largest animal to have ever
    lived on Earth. The largest blue whales measured reached 30.5 meters in
    length (multiply by 3.14 to get the number in feet), with estimated weights
    of over 160 tons. These measurements were during the whaling days, so now
    with the populations very depleted, current sizes are not quite as large.
    Probably 24 to 26 meters in length is a bit more realistic these days.