Interview with a biologist

From: Dagmar Fertl (dfertl@geo-marine.com)
Date: Fri Nov 21 2003 - 09:27:50 EST

    Hi it's Theresa again and I only have to ask 10 questions if that's all
    right with you I'll write 5 now and 5 more tomorrow.
    1. What is it that you do as a scientist?
    2. When you are performing your procedure do you use the scientific method?
    3. Was this your first idea for a career if not then what was?
    4. When were first introduced to it?
    5. Do you enjoy what it is that you do and why?
     Thank you for your time and since this is an interview can you write a
    brief autobiography
    Have a great night and god bless.
    ***********************
    Hi Theresa.
    1. I am a marine mammal biologist working at an environmental consulting
    firm. I am interested in the behavioral ecology of protected marine species
    and human impacts on them (such as noise).
    2. For the particular type of work I'm doing right now, I review the
    research of other scientists and put in context as to how the animals might
    affect or be affected by human activities. So, the answer is no.
    3. Actually, I wanted to be a veterinarian. So, I did stay in a field
    involving animals, but just not medicine.
    4. I assume we're talking about marine mammals, or when I first decided I
    wanted to do work involving them? I did an internship when I was in my third
    year of college. I had an internship with a marine mammal lab in Hawaii
    where I worked with captive animals. At the time, I thought I wanted to be a
    marine mammal vet. But, I realized I could help more animals on a population
    or species level if I did the type of work I do right now.
    5. Ha-ha, it depends on what day you ask me this question. Like anyone else,
    there are good days and bad days at this job. I like getting to read about
    the research other people are doing and assist in management of human
    activities in such a way to minimize impacts to marine mammals. What I miss
    is getting to do that type of hands-on research myself, like I did when I
    was in graduate school, studying dolphins in Galveston Bay, TX.

    Looking forward to the second batch of questions.
    Dagmar Fertl