Hermaphroditic dolphins?

From: Erich Hoyt (erich.hoyt@virgin.net)
Date: Tue Dec 09 2003 - 18:03:58 EST

    From: "edbond" <ed@bond3921.freeserve.co.uk>
    To: <erich.hoyt@virgin.net>, <pita@whale.wheelock.edu>
    Subject: Unusual query on dolphins
    Date: Wed, Dec 10, 2003, 7:30 AM

    Dear Erich,

    If you have a moment, I would like to ask a rather unusual question with
    regard to dolphins. I have been asked to research the matter for a friend
    who has spent a fair amount of time filming dolphins.

    I understand that certain marine fish are or are capable of being
    hermaphrodites and therefore may reproduce asexually. I would like to know
    whether dolphins may do the same. I am aware that dolphins are mammals and
    I would think that, as a result, they would reproduce sexually and it would
    be impossible for dolphins to be hermaphrodites.

    I would be most grateful to know the answer to my query.

    Many thanks

    Ed

    I can assure you that there are no dolphins capable of reproducing
    asexually.

    Erich Hoyt