Re: effect of pingers on cetaceans

From: Orca Network (howard@orcanetwork.org)
Date: Sat Dec 13 2003 - 00:45:51 EST

    What are the effect of pingers on cetaceans when approaching gill nets ?
    How do they deter cetaceans ?

    Gary Haley

    I'm not familiar with the scientific literature on pingers so I can't give
    a technical answer, but the theory and practice seems to be that the sounds
    become associated with the nets, thus the cetaceans soon learn that when
    they hear those sounds they should be on the lookout for nets. Sounds
    travel great distances in water and cetaceans are highly sensitive to
    sound, whereas the visual sight of the nets could easily be missed until
    too late, after the animals are tangled in them.

    Howard Garrett
    Orca Network
    Greenbank WA
    (360) 678-3451