Re: No Subject

From: Orca Network (howard@orcanetwork.org)
Date: Sun Dec 14 2003 - 15:10:20 EST

    Dear whale.wheelock.edu ,
    I LOVE your website SOOOO much! It tells you all about whales and in a
    friendly understandable way!
    But I have a few questions about whales (they've been my favorite animal
    ever since I saw a whaling video) that I'v been afraid to ask.....Which
    countries still whale hunt and and what are they made into?
                       Thank You for listning to a weird little girl who lives
    no where near the ocean!
    With Love,
    Maddie Taff
    Age 11

    Dear Maddie
    Japan and Norway, and soon also Iceland, still hunt whales, plus there are
    some small-scale native hunts in Alaska and the Caribbean. Japan also herds
    dolphins to the beach to kill them. They are used for food. I don't know of
    any other products they are used for. In the early days of whaling the
    baleen was used for many products, like corset stays and buggy whips, and
    the oil was used for lubrication and lamps.

    Howard Garrett
    Orca Network
    Greenbank WA
    (360) 678-3451