Re: Whales

From: Phil Clapham (pclapham@mercury.wh.whoi.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 13 2004 - 06:31:31 EDT

    Hi Allyson:

    The most endangered populations of whales today are:

    eastern North Pacific right whales (probably fewer than 100 left)
    western gray whales (about 100 left - very different from
    eastern/California gray whales, which are at 25,000)
    most blue whale populations (exception is California where there are
    around 2000)
    North Atlantic right whales (300, perhaps declining)

    I'll send you a paper on this which might help.

    Phil Clapham

    --
    Phillip J. Clapham, Ph.D.
    Large Whale Biology Program