Large whales in captivity

From: Dagmar Fertl (dfertl@geo-marine.com)
Date: Thu Oct 21 2004 - 08:50:41 EDT

    Question:

     Has their ever been a blue wale, grey whale or sperm whale in captivity?
    ******************
    Answer:

    Yes, there have been. Off the top of my head, I don't know for sure about
    the blue whale, but J.J. was a gray whale calf that was kept in captivity
    for quite sometime at Sea World. You should be able to find some good
    information on line; there was even a special issue of the journal Aquatic
    Mammals that was dedicated to information collected on J.J. while in
    captivity. Once J.J. was too big to be held in captivity, he was released
    off the California coastline during gray whale migration season. As for
    sperm whales, I'm aware of sperm whale calves that were held in captivity
    after stranding (for rehabilitation) but I don't think any have survived for
    re-release into the wild. Certainly, all three of the species you questioned
    are too large to be held long-term in captivity.

    Hope that helps.

    Dagmar Fertl