Gulf Stream and whales

From: Dagmar Fertl (dfertl@geo-marine.com)
Date: Wed Oct 20 2004 - 17:09:14 EDT

    Question:

     Bonjour,

    I am a retired physical oceanographer working now on Gulf Stream and its
    influence on marine ecosystem. I am looking for information and references
    on the association whales/gulf stream. Can you help me?

    I look also for illustrations of that association. For exemple I found a map
    of eddies in gulf of mexico from satellite altimetry showing the association
    of cold eddies and whales. Is there something similar for Gulf Stream?

    merci

    Bruno Voituriez
    Answer:

    Dear Bruno,

    The Northeast Fisheries Science Center of the National Marine Fisheries
    Service (NOAA) is involved in studying the association you are interested
    in. I would suggest contacting Dr. Gordon Waring or other scientists up in
    Woods Hole, Massachusetts. You should be able to find contact information
    easily on the Internet. Dr. Bob Griffin is currently based at the Mote
    Marine Laboratory located in Sarasota, Florida. Below are a few selected