Humpback whale viewing in Alaska

From: Dagmar Fertl (dfertl@geo-marine.com)
Date: Thu Oct 21 2004 - 15:28:43 EDT

    Question:

    dear d fertl,
    we are planning an alaskan cruise during the summer of 2005. we have had
    different opinions of the best time to view the humpback whale . When do
    you think would be the best time to view these beautiful creatures?

    Thank you for your help!!
    Chris
    Answer:

    Humpback whales are present in the area year-round, with the best viewing
    opportunities during July and August. Best time is during the summer months
    when humpback whales are on their feeding grounds in Alaska. Thankfully,
    this is also the best time period to do stuff in Alaska. Have fun! Try to
    pick a cruise with a good naturalist on board so you can learn lots about
    the whales.

    Regards,
    Dagmar Fertl