Whales, sound information

From: Dagmar Fertl (dfertl@geo-marine.com)
Date: Wed Oct 27 2004 - 16:39:10 EDT

    Question:

    What type of wave is used for a whale?

    What is the wave speed in sea water?

    What range of frequencies or wavelenghts is used for whales?

    This answers would be greatly aprreciated because I need them for my science
    class THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

    ********************
    Answer:

    I suggest you go back thru this week's questions at WhaleNet (or even thru
    the archives), since I just answered most of these questions already. (1) I
    assume you mean what type of wave is used for communication, b/c obviously
    whales are swimming thru waves...you get the picture. Next time please make
    sure you are clear with your question. (2) Wave speed in water....now, this
    sounds like something you could find if you tried to look up the answer in
    the library or online. In fact, I just ran a search using the search engine
    google and quickly located the answer....so, you need to look it up on your
    own like your teacher wanted you to (3) I definetely answered this
    previously, and this answer is found quite easily if you try to look for the
    answer on your own in the library or online (since I know no one seems to go
    to the library itself anymore).

    Good luck with the assignment!
    Dagmar Fertl