Whales, food, barnacles

From: Dagmar Fertl (dfertl@geo-marine.com)
Date: Wed Nov 03 2004 - 09:03:56 EST

    Hello, my name is Paige. I am an 11 year old student at St Patrick's
    Primary
    school in Masterton, New Zealand. I am currently involved in a project
    about
    whales and wondered if you can help me with some questions I have.

    what are some food that whales eat?šlso i would like to know what that kind
    of rocky thing is that the whales have on them? And why do whales have to
    swim in salt water?
    Thanks very much,
    Paige.
    *****************
    Hi Paige,

    The type of food that whales eat depends on what kind of whale they are.
    Baleen whales use their baleen to strain zooplankton (like krill) and small
    fishes from the water (this depends on what species of baleen whale they
    are). Toothed whales use their teeth to capture fishes and squids. Toothed
    whales (again, depending on the species) can also eat other dolphins and
    whales, sea turtles, shrimp, seals, etc.

    By 'rocky thing' I'm guessing you mean barnacles. These are the same 'hard'
    animals that can be found on the bottoms of boats, etc.

    Whales (again, depending on the species) do not always just swim in salt
    water. But, to really answer your question, whales swim in salt water
    because that it is the type of environment that they are adapted to live in.