Whales - size differences.

From: Tom Ford (tjfketos@rcn.com)
Date: Sun Nov 07 2004 - 22:06:03 EST

    From: "Brian Woods" <woodsb@campbellhall.org>
    Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 17:47:06 -0800
    To: <tjfketos@rcn.com>, <pita@whale.simmons.edu>
    Subject: Whales

    Hi Dr. Ford,

    My 4th grade students are currently doing research on whales and small
    science experiments that help them better understand how they live.

    We are curious...are whales larger in certain regions of the world? Do they
    lose or gain weight in the summer or fall months?

    Brian

    ---
    Brian Woods
    Technology Coordinator, Campbell Hall

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "Technology does not make the new wave, it enables it. It is essentially back to us." -Peter Senge

    Dear Brian

    Whale sizes on record seem to show some species of whales are larger in the southern hemisphere. There is a size difference due to sexual dimorphism in many species. For example the male killer whale is significantly larger than the female. the same thing is true in sperm whales.

    In baleen whales the reverse is true females are much larger than males.

    Baleen whales lose weight in the late fall and throughout the winter. Soon after the vernal migrations of these animals they begin to gain weight again.

    All the best,

    Tom Ford